Meet Cobbler Extraordinaire Damilola Durodola
An indigene of Ibadan Oyo state, Damilola Durodola is an Engineer turned cobbler, a man who followed his heart against all odds to become one of the finest Shoe makers around.
From a family of three, Dobblebees as he is fondly called designs breath-taking shoes and sandals for men with class, shoes that matches almost any outfit.
Enough said already; let us get to meet one of the masters of shoe crafting.
Tell us a little bit about yourself: What got you interested in being a cobbler?
– My name is damiola Durodola. I am a graduate of system engineering from university Lagos. I am the last of three children. I am from Ibadan and I love God.
How did you come up with the name ‘Dobblebees’?
– Dobblebees came from a lot of talking to family and friends and it is means Double B just spelt differently as DOBBLE where the B’s stand for my nick name and my supposed wife’s name.
What form of shoe making interests you and why?
– The form of shoes that interests me are mostly cooperate shoes particular the brogue shoes, my reasons being that most times before getting into shoe making I was always wondering how they puncture every single hole on the shoes and how possible it was to achieve that manually, but on making my first pair it came with that confidence that we can do equally thing that are been done overseas.
Do you have a favorite Cobbler? If yes, what draws you to that person’s work?
– It is hard to say I have a best cobbler because I am an admirer of any good shoe, that been said there are a lot of cobblers that make really nice shoes but of the few I’ve seen I love cobbler union it is a foreign handmade brand. I love them because of the quality and perfection in the design and patterns of their shoe it is top notch.
Can you tell us about your early shoe making experience? What makes it memorable?
– In my early days of making shoes, I was in school and I always had to go to a contract cobbler workshop to craft and produce my shoes and because then I was still pretty new to the trade when I see them working and I ask question his reply is always like “this one is not for engineers like you forget about all the book you think you know” like it was magic, but after getting acquainted with the trade I found out a lot of the thing he hyped because he wanted to price me more where very learnable and simple to achieve and now I laugh about them.
Besides shoe making, is there any other form of art you do?
– Apart from shoe making I pick interest in drawing particularly calligraphy, also I love singing, but the honest truth is that I can’t sing to save my life, but I always wished I could sing.
What inspires you? Besides do you have a role model? If yes, can you tell us a little about the person?
– I have been a very enthusiastic person, I am passionate about life and the people around me, I live on a philosophy that you are as rich as the people you have reached, I wish we could live in an ideal world but as it is we are the one to make a difference, My role model is a like a daddy Mr Ejidiran, he has been one person I was privileged to have grown up under. He is that older swagged dad that you would want all your friends to meet because of how he carries himself and is humility. The way he takes care of his children and his beauty wife. For me he is like a prayer reference to God to emulate.
Have you ever stepped out of your comfort zone and discovered a whole new genre of art? How did it turn out?
– A lot of time I’ve gone out of my comfort zone to attempt some other hustles, but the one I recall the most would be tailoring but it was not the funniest of things.
Do you have any other interesting hobbies or maybe a fun story about an experience involving your works?
– One of my hubbies would be sports, I love playing sport : football,basketball,volleyball etc.
Do you have an online portfolio or a blog where we can view your work?
– Your can see some of our work on our official Instagram page @dobblebees_bespoke and my personal page @dammi_duroo.
You can also reach Damilola via phone 08062943530 email : firstname.lastname@example.org.